This week, I started the process of regrowing celery from a propagule. A propagule is just a term used to define the part of the plant used to regrow said plant. In this case, it’s the bottom part of the celery. I cut about 2 inches above the root of the celery. I then used a red solo cup and 4 toothpicks to hold up the propagule. I stuck holes in the red solo cup for the toothpicks to go through, and then inserted them into the celery propagule. Finally, I filled the cup up with enough water to submerge the bottom half of the propagule (about 1 inch). I then placed the cup next to a bright windowsill, alongside my hydroponic system and germination station. The exact dimensions of the propaugle currently are 2.5 inches wide and 2 inches tall. Below is a picture of the propagule suspended in the red solo cup.
It should take about 7 days before I start seeing roots growing from the bottom of the propagule, as well as potentially some leaves forming on the top. Once I see about 5 leaves growing, I’ll transplant it to my main garden. Still have to figure out exactly where I’m going to put it in the garden, since I’m somewhat running out of space, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.