Supporting My Plants

This week, I focused on learning about organic gardening and finally stopping my pole beans from killing all my other plants. Something interesting I learned is that technically I haven’t been doing “official” organic gardening, because actual organic gardening needs to be certified by the USDA on a yearly basis. Either way, I’m having a lot of fun with my unofficial organic gardening. Now to talk about stopping my pole beans. As I stated in previous blog posts, my pole beans were the fastest growing plant in my garden. Because of this, they also covered a large percentage of my garden, blocking the sun from getting to quite a few of my other plants. This lead to the demise of two Sunflowers and a Zinnia. I decided it was about time to do something about them. I grabbed some long wooden sticks, dug them into the soil next to my pole beans, and used string to tie the stem of the pole beans to the sticks, keeping them upright instead of leaning over and covering all my other plants. I’m hoping this will help my other plants survive while not negatively affecting the pole beans. I also added a stake for my bell pepper as well, since it is starting to get pretty big and I want to make sure it doesn’t fall over as well. Below is a picture of my staked plants:

Garden Updates

My microgreens, unfortunately, died pretty quickly after putting them in sunlight, so I was not able to taste what they could have been :(. My lettuce hydroponic system is doing pretty well, the lettuce has multiple big leaves, but it will still take a long time before it close to being harvested. I also may have to refill the system soon, since its running low on water. A few of my plants in my garden are almost ready to harvest. My pole beans have full beans in them and the radishes are sticking out of the soil. I imagine I’ll be harvesting them this coming week. Now its time to start looking up some recipes :).